Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day FIESTA

Happy Mother's Day to all of the Mommy's!
The weather in upstate NY was gorgeous today- finally!
I enjoyed my day with my guys, but I want to talk about the Mother's Day celebration I attended yesterday,  May 10th.

Some background first. Our family farm is rich in Mexican culture. We have many employees, year round, who are of Mexican ethnicity. As a family business,  we do have employees that, though not blood related, are so close to us they have become family. Our godson, Ethan, is the middle child of our "Mexican Family". We love them ALL so much and are always thrilled to participate in the rich culture and traditions that the  Mexican community in our area celebrates.

So, May 10th is Mother's Day in Mexico. It doesn't matter what day of the week it falls on,  it is always celebrated on May 10th. What a CELEBRATION!
Food...Whoa the food!
Music, Dancing and A LOT of love.
THIS is what I really want to talk about tonight, though.  Love. [ but seriously,  the tamales were EPIC]

THE FIESTA!

Every woman in the room (read: our giant warehouse) was hugged and kissed by EVERYONE that joined the party. "Happy Mother's Day" was joyously proclaimed. Every woman looked stunning.  Beautifully dressed, gorgeous shoes (seriously AMAZING shoes) women of ALL shapes and sizes, young and old-ALL of them made to feel as if they were special.  Where is THIS in American culture?

Every man was a doting husband, involved father, affectionate dance partner- Serving his wife...and other women at the table.  

Over the years,  we have become close with the migrant worker ministry as well. The pastor and lay leader were here and I think my favorite  moment of the night was, my baby being serenaded in Spanish by this amazing man- who LIVES to share the word of God with the migrant community.

Community is the key word. What an amazing feeling of community I felt last night. My boys danced the night away. My husband enjoyed fun and fellowship with men that currently work for him, who have worked for him in the past and those whom he had never met. We were the only "white people" in the room, but I never ONCE felt "different".

Can we say the same of our dear friends on an average day living in America? At Wal-Mart... the grocery store... a restaurant?

Here in America, we live to discriminate. The average American looks first for differences- before looking for similarities. The average American uses these differences to justify status.

I, personally,  have been whispered about due to my size.  I have witnessed multiple acts of discrimination towards my Hispanic friends, my African American friends, my friends with special needs- and those who are just plain different.

That's what "we" do.
Yay America.
Right?

Our country was the "Melting Pot"...now, if you're not the right blend of cheesy mush, you're not welcome to join the dip in the pot.

I would rather spend my Saturday with 100 people who speak a different language than me, but show me and everyone else around me nothing but LOVE---than spend an hour with the "average", judgemental American.

HOW can WE be the catalyst for change?  We need to LIVE our lives centered on LOVE.  Who's with me?

{beBlessed} and have a GREAT night!

No comments:

Post a Comment